Although this is breast cancer awareness month and I promised to talk a little more about Sickle Cell in my previous posting and I got side tracked and didn’t. So here goes some additional information for people that may not be aware or just a reminder to others.
Sickle Cell Anemia, is a lifelong disease but it is something that you can live with if you know how to handle it. It is very important if one find a way to control and cope with their pain. People cope with their pain in different ways and the pain one person feels may work for them and not another person.
With proper healthcare, many sickle cell patients can live productive lives. In the past this wasn’t so. Sickle cell patients must also take care of themselves and eat properly and do whatever it takes to prevent crises and also get regular medical care. I stress eating healthy because I have seen first hand how some patients want to eat junk food all day long and to me that is not healthy.
Some steps towards a healthy lifestyle are:
- Eating healthy and taking folic acid. Folic acid helps the body to make new red blood cells.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water every day.
- If you are a smoker, please quit.
- Regular exercise but not to much to strain yourself. Drink fluids when you exercise.
- Get enough sleep and rest.
- Limit the amount of alcohol you drink if any.
I am also adding some videos from my love one who battles with the disease every day. The videos are her version of the challenges she faces on a daily basis.
She is a warrior!