Today as we celebrate the country of my birth 37th Independence, I will highlight a few things that a few may not have known about St. Lucia.
- St. Lucia is the only country in the world named after a woman.
- St. Lucia has 2 Nobel Laureates (Sir Arthur Lewis; 1979, Economics) and Derek Walcott; 1992, Literature) making the country earn the title of having the most Nobel prizewinners per head of population than any other country.
- Our national dish is green bananas and salt fish.
- St. Lucia was named St. Lucy by the French who were the first to colonize them.
- The island changed hands between the British and the French 14 times (7 times each).
- We were ruled by Britain from 1815 to 1979.
Happy 37th Independence to all!
Enjoy some local songs that I found on YouTube: